Friday, 13 January 2012

Fashion Icons Part 1 - Morrissey

I thought that since this is a fashion and beauty blog that it would be interesting to do a series on people that have pushed me to be more interested in fashion and inspire me to be the way I am, whether they're inside or outside of the fashion industry.
Morrissey
All thanks to my Dad ever since I was little I've been obsessed with Morrissey and The Smiths. The Smiths must have been a breath of fresh air, or a complete shock, for music fans in the 80s. In a decade dominated by bands such as Wham! and Spandau Ballet and their upbeat love songs The Smiths arrived in 1982 with their considerably 'dull' band name, songs about child abuse and murderers and eye catching outfits. Morrissey and Johnny Marr were particularly infamous for their quiffs (Morrissey still rocks his at the ripe old age of 52).

I have so much respect for Morrissey wearing such brave outfits without caring what people thought of him. Something that I particularly loved was his used of flowers (have you seen the video for This Charming Man? seriously...) He primarily used daffodils and gladioli, as a homage to Oscar Wilde, in such fashions as waving them around the stage as he performed and even shoving them down the back of his pants.

During the days of The Smiths he used vintage hearing aids as accessories and wore watches on both wrists. It's little things like this that make me love him because I don't really know of anyone else who would come up with these ideas, and pull them off as well.

In more recent times brands that he's favoured are Fred Perry and Lonsdale and I love both of them as they remind me of Skinhead and Mod culture, two things that inspire me in my fashion endeavours. (I grew up watching Quadrophenia and listening to The Jam so I'm a little obsessed with Mods). He even dressed as a priest for a few weeks in 2004 when he was promoting the single 'I Have Forgiven You Jesus' - using fashion to mock your Catholic upbringing... Haute fashion?


I could easily go on all day about how much I love Morrissey but this post would never end. All in all I don't think I've ever disliked anything he's worn and he definitely pulls it all off with confidence!

Who do you admire?
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Hi there...
    IFB member here :)
    Thanks for following...
    Following you on Twitter..

    Love

    Aien
    http://www.aienjamir.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment :) glad to hear I've inspired you sweet! I love your writing style and I love this post, Morrissey is a god! haha xo

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every single one of your lovely comments! If you have any questions I'll make sure that I get back to you.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig