Sunday, 30 August 2015

You Can Make a Fine Living in a Pair of Heels

Anyone who knows me will be aware that two of my biggest passions in life are films and drag queens, so it won't come as much of a surprise when I say that one of my all time favourite films is The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. For those of you who haven't heard of this masterpiece, it's the story of two drag queens and a transgender woman who travel from Sydney to Alice Springs via the Austalian Outback in a tour bus that they lovingly christen 'Priscilla'. I was vaguely aware that there was a musical adaptation, but I'd never considered going to see it until my lovely colleague Alison mentioned that it was coming to Manchester.


The show that we went to see featured one of my childhood loves in the lead role of Tick; Duncan James from Blue (also played by Jason Donavon in other shows). Now, despite what people may say about his boyband background, he's an amazing singer and faultlessly belted out some classics. He was flanked by the equally brilliant Adam Bailey as Adam (better known as Felicia Jollygoodfellow when he's on stage) and Simon Green as Bernadette. As a trio they lived up to the standards set by the beloved Hugo Weaving, Guy Pearce and Terrance Stamp who originally played the parts in the film.

The way in which the stage show uses music is extremely clever, it features a trio of 'Divas' who sing their hearts out to hits from the film, whilst being suspended over stage, as the drag acts lip-sync to them. The actors themselves sing songs exclusive to the show which move the plot along. I won't give away anything else because going into something like this blind adds to the experience. Though I will say that the costumes were amazing, and some of them stayed true to the film. (Here's looking at you, Tick's flip-flop dress.)


As a respectful patron of the theatre I didn't take any pictures once the show had started, so I only got the one shot of the curtain which featured a (rather fabulous) map of Australia with the characters' journey charted on it. There was also an absolutely massive lipstick sat in front of it. If you want to see actual images of the show then there's a few on Google!

I would highly recommend going to see Priscilla, Queen of the Desert if you fancy a fabulous, fun, cheesy, camp night out! (Let's face it, who doesn't?) Have you seen any musicals lately? Let me know by leaving comment or tweeting me! You can check the priscillabus Twitter to see if the show will be in your area.

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I've been to loads of musicals this year; i absolutely love going the theatre - Jersey Boys has been my favourite so far! I've never actually seen Priscilla Queen of the Desert, ill have to look into it!
    Also if you love films and drag queens, I'd recommend To Wong Fu: Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar
    Natalie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to see Jersey Boys for a while! I think it's coming to Manchester in October so I'm going to have to beg someone to come see it with me! Ahh, Wong Fu is a bit of fun! I do love Wesley Snipes in a dress aha! xx

      Delete

I love reading each and every single one of your lovely comments! If you have any questions I'll make sure that I get back to you.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig