Thursday, 17 September 2015

How to Beat the Graduate Blues

I've been overwhelmed by the amount of posts that have been popping up all over the place that are really supportive of those who are about to step into the world of university life for the very first time. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting the new generation of freshers, but what about those who have already been through the entire higher education experience and only got a lousy t-shirt? That's right, I'm talking about people like me: graduates. I attended Edge Hill University between 2010 and 2013 and completed a degree in Film Studies. Shortly after graduating I got a job in retail with the intention of saving up and going back to uni to complete a Masters Degree. However, it's two years down the line, I'm still stuck in the 9-5 world and sometimes it's hard to see a post-uni silver lining, so I thought that I'd post some tips for my fellow graduates on how to stay cheery.


1. Don't regret your choice of course. I know that a lot of people get down over what they chose to study. I studied ICT and Business at college and whilst these were deemed the more 'suitable' options to continue with by my family, I couldn't face dedicating three years of my life to something that I couldn't stand. Picking a course that I loved made the biggest difference and, whilst it hasn't got me my dream job just yet, I loved every second of studying a subject that I'm so passionate about.

2. Keep looking forward. It's also good to remember that despite what subject your degree may have been in you can always fall back on further education, a graduate scheme, or a PGCE. They may not get you jobs in your dream field, but they're still likely to lead to careers that are better than a bog standard job. I've found that exploring different career paths and routes to take for the future leaves me feeling quite positive.

3. Avoid Facebook around September/October. I know that asking people to abstain from social media for a couple of months is a ridiculous request in 2015, but you wouldn't believe how much this can help. These two months specifically can be a killer, because you'll be bombarded with posts from friends who are extremely hyped to be either starting or returning to university and it can be a massive downer. 

4. Invest your new found free time in hobbies. As much as I loved being at uni I can't lie and say that it didn't completely eat into my free time. When I was at college, and wasn't particularly bothered about studying for exams on the ins and outs of business, I had an abundance of hobbies. I was an absolute bookworm, I was constantly glued to my PS3, and as you can already tell by this post, I loved watching films and taking trips to the cinema. Besides watching films for my course, and maybe the odd cinema night, I didn't really have any time to dedicate time to my hobbies and it did start to grind on me a little bit. The first thing that I did when I finished uni was buy a bulk load of kindle books in order to lose myself for a few weeks and it was so nice to read something that wasn't as dense as anything that Freud and co had written.

5. Keep in contact with your uni friends. Since I was on a course that also acted as a hobby outside of academia it meant that a lot of my course mates were passionate about the same films and directors as I was and we bonded really easily. I can definitely say that I met some of the greatest, likeminded people when I was at uni and no matter how far away they are they always know how to make me feel better.

I hope that these tips help my fellow graduates! Let me know your top tips for keeping your head above water post-uni!

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. This post couldn't have come at a better time, I just graduated in July, and I've been really down about uni being over - definitely the best 3 years of my life. Number three is so important, it's so depressing seeing all of the freshers pictures. And on Snapchat too!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every single one of your lovely comments! If you have any questions I'll make sure that I get back to you.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig